Monday, April 03, 2006

Finding meaning in meaning

I remember when i was back in high school, i knew someone who, after buying a glass of soda, got a 10 peso bill with his name on it after using it to pay for something months before. Coincidence or not? Either way he kept it in his wallet claiming it to be a lucky charm. To this day, i guess he still has it, though i don't know if it ever has any effect whatsoever with his life. I don't even know his number.

A lot of things may happen to us. Some just breeze by, others leave a bruise, the rest even leave a stain on our very oh so vulnerable unconscious. With all these things giving us the heads up, sometimes we try to find meaning in every single thing that ever happens. Perhaps, it is a coping mechanism of sorts? or just my mind trying to decipher fragments of my life that are left unattended, gathering dust.

Perceivably, it is one's nature to understand his environment. Although my question would always be; "are we supposed to understand?". Is it man's destiny to somehow stumble upon the formula to life's mysteries? or doomed to discover it a little too late?

sometimes we give meaning to things in order to validate that our long yearned desires are fulfilled. That down times may happen because it is what is supposed to happen in order to attain a goal.

But what if failures just happened to be failures and luck is luck? Are we then philosophizing like idiots in a lonely cage?

Sometimes we give too much meaning in every single thing that we may encounter. Regardless of the possibility of it not holding any significance to our lives. Sometimes we interpret things too much that in translating latin into english we get aramaic. Or perhaps, we say that we have an apple tree in front of us instead of a Lemon. I guess we sometimes want to give meaning to stuff around us to give assurance to our insecure selves that everything is fine and things are going our way.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Always, (and i mean always) I often wonder why do I have friends so diverse. I often notice other people flocking together bound by their same interests and ideals. While I have so many different types of people in my circle we don't have much common interests.

I seem to be drawn to diverse people. Meeting each and everyone like reading different books. One may take you to the walls of French palaces while the other guides you through the streets of New York. I guess it can be a blessing.

A blessing that could take you out of your box and present to you different perspectives. A blessing that would help me grow as a person. Creating adventures in different shapes and sizes. Perhaps, I am lucky to have known something beyond that I am used to.

Indeed, like minds may think alike and may enjoy each other's company. But, diverse minds see beyond what is on the horizon, cutting edge.

Yeba!

1 comment:

junosan said...

hahaha. i guess our mindframes are still aligned since we parted ways huh?