Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Musings of an Ant in the summertime (The Ant and I)

It was the height of summer. As expected of the season, a sweltering heat works up the neighborhood that I am living in. Seeking refuge from the scorching midday heatwave, I decided to take a whiff of a refreshing summer breeze at the porch outside the house with a cold glass of ice water in hand. Not that It would greatly affect the situation, but to at least have done something in vain than not doing something at all.

I scanned the area that surrounded me and gave a exasperated sigh. Everything in sight bathes in the radiance of the summer sun, the tall mango trees at our neighbor's lawn, the glowing street pavements even the street signs were giving off an uncharacteristic brightness. A breeze would blow once in a while, yet it doesn't appease my situation with its warm air tracing my sweat moistened skin.

"Nope." I said to myself. There's no escaping the heat.

Placing the glass on top of a black metal table on the porch with a bonsai plant in the middle, nothing great about it. It's just black. I sat down in a matching black metal lounge chair, leaning my head back. Savoring the numbness of my head. I glanced at the bonsai that was placed in the middle of the metal table and saw an ant carrying a somewhat large chunk of bread. Well, large for the ant I presume. I watched the Ant for a while and realized that it was going in circles. walking at the edge of the pot that the Bonsai plant is in. It kept on doing that fr several minutes until I decided to strike a conversation.

"Hi, Mr. Ant. I was observing you for quite some time now and it seems that you have been circling around the bonsai plant several times" I said.

"Oh yes, I did not notice you sitting there." The ant answered while taking a glance of me then resuming its circular path of walking.

I noticed a different expression from the ant's face and asked,"Might you be in a tight situation?"

"I must admit I am." He said as a matter of factly speaking.

"What is the problem then?"

"I'm lost"

"Lost?"

"Yes."

I was surprised to hear that answer. It was the first time I heard that an ant got lost. Then he went on, explaining the situation.

"Here I was carrying this great find of a food to bring back home to our hill then all of a sudden I just lost the trail that was made by my brothers and I am having a hard time locating it again. I must have strayed far since I have been trying to find the trail for a few hours already. And still I couldn't find my way back."

"whoa, quite a dilemma there." I said sincerely.

"It's nothing I should be worried about." the ant said earnestly. "I know everything will turn out fine."

"How can you be so sure?" Said I. "Nobody can be so sure that everything would be alright in the end."

The ant suddenly stopped on its tracks. Took a great look at me. He then suddenly smiled and said,"Well, nobody can be sure that everything would not be alright either. Don't you agree?"

Feeling like a debater losing an argument I just responded,"you've got a point there mister."

"Yes, I know I have a point here. Nobody knows what may come their way in the future. Life can be very capricious and give you something that you don't expect. You may like it or not, though you are powerless over it. If it gives you something pleasant then congratulations. If it gives you something bad, tough luck. We aren't in the position to complain."

The Ant placed down the large chunk of bread he was carrying and continued on,"Life is not about getting what we want and enjoying the high life. Then It would be boring that way, don't you think?"

I responded with an earnest nod, beads of sweat visibly hanging on my temples.

"Life is about how we make out of it regardless of what we have at the moment. It has a lot of twists and turns and enjoying the ride seems the most practical option to take." He then picks up his chunk of bread lying on the soil and said," So, I just keep on going. Nothing else. Besides, moping around does not solve anything. As I said, life can be fickle and perhaps it may have some sort of surprise for you as you turn a corner."

"I sure hope so..." I replied.

The ant then started walking again. Scurrying its feet. "I better get going. I've got to get this food back home. It's almost rainy season."

"Like the ants that you guys are. Always ready for the worst." I reckoned to him.

"I guess so."

"What are you going to do now? Since going around in circles is not doing you any good?" I asked.

"Walk somewhere else I believe is an obvious option."

"Why don't you try going down that pot and try heading east? I have a feeling that something's up there."

"I'll try it then. Nothing to lose. thanks."

"No Problem." I said.

The ant scurried off the pot of the bonsai plant and saw it jump off the edge of the metal table and started heading east. I tried to think about what the ant pointed out earlier while listening to the warm breeze that rustled the leaves around. I shook off the thought shaking my head."Pointless thinking is worse than not thinking at all" I said to myself.

I picked up the glass that I placed on the table, a lot of liquid has condensed on it already leaving a very wet circle on top of where it was placed. I took a sip and placed it back. I took out a pack of cigarettes, Marlboro lights, that I had in my pocket and a black lighter. I took a stick, placed it on my mouth and held the lighter close to the tip and with a deep breath and click lit the cigarette.

I followed the smoke that I blew out from my mouth and led my eyes to a mango fruit hanging on a tree. It looked that it would be ripe soon. Glowing in the brightness of summer.

No comments: