Sunday, July 16, 2006

goatees and spectacles

Friday night:

A friend texted that he couldn't help telling me that I remind him of Project Runway. I replied with a "Let me guess, Jay McCarroll?". Sure, I couldn't hold it against him. Opinions should be respected. But, if people around you (not just one) like friends and family share the same thoughts, clearly it's telling something to you.

Then a follow up text came, about how this guy in glasses in a pepsi commercial hollering "hallelujiah" reminded them of me. And then right after came, "Sorry, it's the glasses and the 'Chin pubes' (goatee)".

Really?

I admit I see the resemblance they are pointing out but is it a bad or good thing? I wouldn't mind being mistaken for an artistic genious in the fashion scene (i loved his art deco dress, among others). It's just disturbing, I think.

I'm a type of person who tries to reinvent himself a lot of times. I try to find something different and vibrant. I take in everything around me from all shapes, sizes and color and whip out something different (nothing really brilliant) or ironic or whatever works for me. I get tired of following rules and norms and break them (once in a while) instead. Just to break the monotony.

But now the world has caught up on me. Perhaps I retreated into my own little shell for too long. Or maybe the world got too small and boring. It seems that it takes so much more to move people nowadays. Where a tinge of excitement seems a luxury.

Well, I guess I just have to drop those dark-rimmed glasses of mine and stow it away now. I got bored with it anyway.

No comments: