Thursday, July 06, 2006

of dreams and sparks

When I was younger, ( i still am, mind you) all I ever dreamed of is to have a career where my strengths are put into good use. I wasn't ambitious enough to dream of a six-figure salary. The only requirements that should be met would be that: [a.] I could wear anything that I want to work and [b.] that I could occassionally hang out in public commercial places for brunch on a weekday or even perhaps, [c.] go on an impromptu out of town road trip and breathe fresh air during work hours.

Now that I am older ( a little older, tee-hee), I realized that this lifestyle I wanted was all but just a distant dream. Time has passed and things have definitely changed. If it is for better or for worse, only God knows the answer. It turns out that in order for this dream to take shape is either to have a very lucrative early retirement or be an heir to a business magnate which is of course, a fruit falling far off from its tree. Therefore, I have to dream up a six-figure salary dream and draw out other different kinds of dreams in the process.

But, (there's always a but) life has been always a series of struggles and adversities with a promise of bliss and merrymaking at the end of a thorny rainbow. There is always a balance of Yin and Yang or an intricate web of divine plans. Nobody really gets what they want all the time (unless you are a really, really spoiled brat). What people really get is what they need and receiving what is essential for us would be in the best of our interests, right?

This does not mean that ceasing to dream is the best course of action. Dreaming is what makes men very special creatures. It is a manifestation of that divine spark that we posses. The spark that can part seas and move mountains. It is about rolling with the punches and receiving blows once in a while.

So, here I am still holding on to a handful of dreams with the hope of at least one coming into fruition. Not a single soul knows where it may bring me and my end destination still looks like a broad horizon to me. Onwards I go. Who knows? I might end up with a very lucrative retirement after all.

No comments: