Saturday, September 30, 2006

Milenyal banter

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anything about the recent storm that ravaged the city. Everybody would have anyway so thus, the promise. But then my fingers has this itch for online activity. So here I am posting about this almost armageddon named Milenyo or Xangsane as known internationally. Don't worry, these are mostly pointless banter.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Most phenomenona of natural disaster in nature brings out a lot in people or in society. It could bring out the best or even the most vile. Whatever it may be, whether we like it or not, we can never deny its power to affect people in any gargantuan or miniscule way. This storm that made its transit right smack through our capital, a place with boorish pride, undeniably knocked down the city to its knees.

It may have spawned fear. Agony and sadness. Itmay also have also spawned jubilant faces of another day off from school and work. Mostly, it was a time to go back to basics and value simple things that was taken for granted untill the storm hit. People, without anything better to do, came out the streets and started chatting with neighbors and creating a lot of ruckus. Funny, coz it hasn't happened for years now. Family and friends was able get some time of from the daily routine and finally do what they wanted to do when they were busy. Files and clutters were arranged and organized. Relationships were restored and reignited. Books were read, sleep were slept and dreams were dreamed.

A break from the routine and boring. An opening for desries to be fulfilled. To reconnect. To rest. To rearrange and reasses. To step down from a cloud or a tree. No matter what it is. It was a storm that everybody greatly needed (exception to those who lost their lives and homes).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes the storm was a bitch. I woke up that day with the wind slapping the window. Silence inside the room. Chaos outside. The fan wasn't working so I figured the power is out. I never realized that it would be out for more than a day. I checked my phone for anything and LOW BATT was flashing on the lcd screen. SHIT! I checked my palm and the battery is halfway spent already. I felt stupid not charging up the night before knowing that the battery of my phone would be dead anytime the next day. And it died early in the afternoon.

Lunch was like an avante-garde movie. Imagine me eating lunch. Imagine me seated with bay windows behind me. Then imagine the wind wreaking havoc just outside that window. Then Imagine the stillness while I was eating inside. It felt quite absurd.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Since the power was out during the evening, all I had as entertainment were candles and mosquitos. I tried reading books against the candlelight, but I only got a headache. I just tried enjoying the stillness. Brought outside a candle on the front porch. And just breathing in the darkness and quietness of the surroundings. I thought I saw something moving up in the trees with bright eyes but tried ignoring it for a while. I don't need anything like that at that time.

I wish I had power and was able to catch pictures of candlelight. Shit!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Since the power was out and as well as running water supply, you can imagine how a person can get very sticky and icky. I just coulnd't help but to go outside when it started to rain hard last night. I bathed in the rain and squeezed it out for all its worth. Brings back memories actually. When I was younger, I loved bathing in the rain. One of my favorite things. That may be the reason for my soft spot for rain. threw everything away, inhibitions and self control and just enjoyed the droplets make my body damp and wash away the filth. I felt the stars peeking out of the clouds and the gnomes and other creatures of the dark. I just went on and did a wonderful performance that you see once in a lifetime. Nothing obscene.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When the power went back on it is as if a farytale has ended. That for a day and a half, the world stopped turning and stopped time and space. As if a rip in space has been created and weird things happened. It is something that a busy buzzing city never expected but secretly asked for in their bedtime prayers. Secret desires were met while this rip was in place. An early halloween treat for ghost and ghouls and the seemingly ghostly existence. And since the world starts to turn again, the fabric in time is mended, leaving in its wake the aftermath of people catching up from things lost and things regained. Until the next time-space warp.

No comments: